Buying a Family Home
The areas of Westbury on Trym, Clifton, and the surrounding neighbourhoods are popular with young families for their proximity to excellent schools, wide open green spaces, and friendly locals. If you’re looking to buy a family home, here’s our top tips for buying in this area.
1. Consider how much space your family really needs. You might fall in love with a beautiful cottage in Westbury on Trym, but if you’re hoping to have a big family you’ll quickly outgrow it. Think about outside space, if your career might necessitate a home office in years to come, and whether you need a spare room for out-of-town guests.
2. It can be useful to make a list of “must haves” and “nice to haves” that will help focus your search. Also, be sure on the points you’re willing to compromise on. If a property is right next door to the Downs or Brandon Hill, can you live with having a smaller garden? Knowing all this upfront can save time when making difficult decisions later.
3. Look at the expansion potential of homes you view. At Leese & Nagle we see many houses in Westbury on Trym that have loft conversions and extensions, so we’re able to give you advice on whether it’s possible on homes you’re interested in. Knowing an extension is possible means you can buy for your family’s circumstances today, confident that the house can grow with you.
4. Check school catchment areas – but don’t put too much faith in them. Catchment areas can change from year to year as most schools operate a policy where younger siblings of existing students get priority. Also consider your budget – a house within the catchment area for a popular primary school could fetch up to £50,000 more than an identical house outside of the catchment area.
5. Get to know the local area and the types of amenities it has to offer. You don’t want to be disappointed to find your dream home, only to discover it’s miles from the nearest swimming pool, your preferred supermarket, or a really good fish and chip shop. Feel free to ask your Leese & Nagle Sales Consultant these types of questions – we all know the local area and can give you the lowdown.
If you’re interested in buying a property in Clifton, Westbury on Trym, or the surrounding areas, the team at Leese & Nagle are experts in these neighbourhoods. We’d be glad to give you some advice or talk you through the type of homes you’ll find in this area. Give us a call today on 0117 974 1741 (Clifton office) or 0117 962 2299 (Westbury on Trym office) and we’ll be pleased to help you.